Friday, January 15, 2010

Nobody likes a Critic...

But unfortunately, they are necessary.

Today was my first day at a new job (a very busy coffee shop) and the person who was training me addressed every single thing I did wrong. I know it was to help me grow and let me correct anything that I'm doing wrong, but it was, well, just damn annoying (give me a break, it was, afterall my first shift).

I just had to keep reminding myself that she was just helping me assimilate into the role without making the same errors over and over again. This situation is the same in anything we do, there will always be someone with more knowledge, someone with more skills, or just someone with more opinions to help perfect the task we're performing.

This is a perfect example when it comes to writing. No one likes to hear that someone (anyone) doesn't like a story that you've poured your heart and soul into writing, afterall, everyone should like it... it's the best thing that's ever been written (don't tell me you never had this thought before), but sometimes getting a second (or third.. or fourth... so on) opinion from someone not as close to the work will help to improve it...

So yeah, while nobody likes critics... everyone needs one once in their life... I don't think my stories would be anything without my harshest critics (my brother and sister, and they say family shouldn't be critics... mine tears my story to shreds and has no problem telling me what sucks and what doesn't)

How does everyone else handle criticism? Have you joined a crit group? Or have close readers that help to point out any plot holes or character mulfunctions? Or is your writing (or whatever else you do) a solo act.

1 comments:

Kerri Cuev said...

Good topic because I am facing this right now too! I realized quickly I needed input to help improve.

My sister is great at shredding my story...to a point. I have a friend who gets into plot for me. I really need to find a crit partner who is serious about writing too.

Good luck with the new job!!!!

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Her Lullaby kit by Irene Alexeeva