Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Ghosts of the Past...

About 1 year ago I did not see the point of social networking, I had never even thought about starting up a facebook page. I mainly did to keep contact with people from my old job when I left it, and then it became a place to meet new writers from all over the world.

I have recently been contacted by people I have not seen or spoken with for over 10 years (wow, I was surprised they still remembered me). And then, yesterday I was tagged in a photo, it was my class picture from year 6... wow, that was a long time ago.



The internet is such an interesting place where pictures from over 15 years can crop up without any notice.

I guess the same can be said about things that are written and uploaded to the net. Even if they get deleted, they still remain as a ghost... that could come back to haunt you. I'm very careful about what I place on the internet, I know that it's not just me who's going to see it. But, it's also very hard to monitor photos or other information that include me that others upload.

How do you decide what information to post online. Are you a part of an online social network?

7 comments:

Talei said...

I try to stick with my writing, honing 'the voice' and I pretty much blog what comes to mind at the time. Twitter and blogging are what I use. ;)

Brenda Drake said...

You know what your mom always says, "If you don't have something nice to say..." I follow that advice while traveling the internet. I try to stay positive. As far as pictures of me from others popping up, I just never have taken a picture I'd be ashamed of (nudies and the like).

Annie McMahon said...

Aww... You look so cute on that picture! I'm like Brenda, nothing to hide. I know how you feel, though. My mom posted some pics of me as a little girl on Facebook. I'm always stunned when I sign in and see pics of myself somewhere on the page. LOL

Unknown said...

I agree, I would never post anything that I would be ashamed of... I always think about who is going to see it.

Jemi Fraser said...

I blog and use Twitter a little bit, but I haven't joined Facebook yet. The thought of some of my school photos trolling the airwaves is a little terrifying :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'm with Jemi - Blogging and Twitter are it for me. And I'm careful what I post on my blog. I want my private life to stay that way.

Anonymous said...

haha!! Awesome pic :) What happened? LOL (just kidding)

Yes, you should be cautious when posting on the internet, but I have to confess, and I'm sure I don't need to tell you this, I just blurt out whatever is in my head at the time haha!! I never say anything negative about anyone unless in jest. But I don't feel as though I have anything to hide.

Great post!

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Her Lullaby kit by Irene Alexeeva