Thursday, July 7, 2011

The end of the book store






This is the sign that here, down in Australia, has been seeing a lot of at shopping centres. The two main giant book store chains (Borders and Angus & Robertson) are all closing their physical stores, but are still continuing in the online market.

This is sad, but also good as a book buyer since I've managed to get so many books for 50-85% off that I'll probably never get around to reading. So, is this the way the future of book companies are going to be. No more brick and mortar stores, but all online with more available e-books than actual physical books? I'm very impulsive so I liked walking into a book store and picking up some random book that I'd never heard of before and walking out with it, not really expecting to buy anything.

What do you think? What do you think is the future of brick and mortar stores?

5 comments:

Dark Franny said...

When I first moved to London 3 years ago the only place I considered for books was Borders. It was all I could dream of. They had good prices, several discounts and a Starbucks point. Then, one by one they started to close down. It was heartbreaking, since I didn't like (and still don't) the book stores left. I now go to Waterstone's but it's not the same. Anyway, although I enjoy buying from the internet due to the huge discounts, I find walking into a bookstore and coming out with a bag priceless.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I think some of the smaller stores will survive, but I see most of the chains going.

Trisha said...

I'd be being CRAPLOADS of books from stores if they were an affordable price here in Aus. As it is though, they're just ridiculously overinflated (just like everything else, at least here in Western Australia). Really sucks!!

Alleged Author said...

Man, I hate that bookstores are going away though B&N seems to be doing just fine, thank goodness. Would love to get some discounted books!

Ellie Garratt said...

I think in the end the only places we'll be able to buy books (apart from supermarkets) will be from online sites such as Amazon. Stores such as Waterstones or Borders will be priced out of the market, which is a tragedy. I love browsing book shelves, and it is not the same online.

Ellie Garratt

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Her Lullaby kit by Irene Alexeeva