Thursday, February 23, 2012

Silence or Sound?

After all the work I've been doing, I've finally been able to get back to writing DARK SIGHT. For some reason, I can't work in silence. I need something in the background to help my mind keep flowing with the creative juices.

Since I do most of my writing at home and there's no one around I usually have the TV on low in the background. Last night I found myself writing and thinking one word but writing one that someone on the TV said.

I had to check my MS to make sure no other unexpected words had sneaked their way in amongst the story. This doesn't mean I won't have the TV on while writing, I'll just have to focus more on WHAT I'm writing rather than zoning out and ending up copying what people are saying (especially on advertisements... that's just the worst dialogue you can have).

So, do you write best with silence or sound?

3 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I don't like to write in silence. At the very least, I have music playing. Sometimes the TV is on in the background, muted, for a little visual!

Krista McLaughlin said...

I don't like writing in silence, but it is hard for me to write with music on that has words or I want to sing along and do other stuff. I usually watch TV while I write, but more write that TV watching...

Anonymous said...

I have to have total silence. I can't concentrate when other stuff is going on around me. I'm too easily distracted. "Something shiny!" LOL

Maybe that's the difference between girl brains and boy ones :)

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Her Lullaby kit by Irene Alexeeva